How to get your Sony Handycam DCR-SR40 to work on OSX:
When you purchase the DCR-SR40 Sony Handycam, it has a link in the instruction book on where to go to purchase software to be able to use the camera with OSX. It is NOT free, and second of all, the software is absolutely horrible.
Do NOT for one second think that you can use firewire with this camera either. Nope. Also, do not assume that this camera will work with iMovie or iDVD, because it won't. Why? Well, first of all it's USB, (OSX needs firewire with Digital Video Cameras, even HDD based ones)
It won't work, it won't work, it won't work. Don't buy the crappy software suggested in the manual.
The problem is, the video that is stored on the camera is in Mpeg-2. Well. That sucks.
Steps to get it to work:
1. Plug the Camera's dock into the Mac.
2. Plug the Camera's dock into the electricty.
3. Record something
4. Plug the camera into the dock.
5. Turn the camera on, and put it in VCR mode (the bottom LCD light)
6. Press the "Burn to DVD" button on the Dock.
This will mount the Video Camera into OSX.
7. Open the "NO_NAME" drive, present on your desktop.
8. Navigate through the folders until you find the mp2 files that are named something like "M2U00001.MPG".
9. Drag and drop this file to your desktop (you can erase it off the camera if you want)
Quicktime will NOT play this file, you have to up convert it mp4
10. Download and install "ffmpegX", a free program, and all the tools that go with it. (You will need mplayer)
11. Drop "M2U00001.MPG" file into ffmpegX, and then select what file type to convert it to on the right (I suggest 2-pass option for H.264)
12. Click "Encode"
13. Whenever later (a long time if you have a slow puter...) it will spit out a file, that file you can do whatever you want with (into iMovie, iDVD whatever)
Return the camera, pay the restocking fee, and go buy the Panasonic PV-GS300.
I suggest the latter.
Several friends and I play Call of Duty nearly every night. However, Activision’s most recent multiplayer update broke the heck out of Call...
Without going off the deep-end here and discussing every single Snort rule keyword, I just wanted to touch on a few modifiers that people so...
Let me start off by saying I'm not bashing the writer of this article, and I'm trying not to be super critical. I don't want to...
What kind of crap is this? "Effective December 1st, 2007, all new GIAC certification attempts and re-certification attempts are require...